sciortino scoop

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

too big?


As you know, my son is almost 15 months old, and I find myself faced with a problem. It's nothing major. It's to do with his clothes. You see, there are some moms who dress their babies like babies for a long time, and there are some who dress them like big kids fairly early. Thus far in Campbell's life, I'd say that I tended more toward the babyish clothes with the occasional really cute big kid outfit. For example, the picture above is what he wore yesterday. Clearly a big boy outfit. Let's face it, he looks like a teenager.
And so now that he is getting older and becoming a toddler, I'm faced with the question of which way to lean . For one thing, he is so tall that one-piece outfits only fit him for a short time making them not quite worth the money. But on the other hand, I'm not ready to dress him in big boy clothes just yet. Church time is especially challenging because it seems there is no in-between. It's either little baby knee socks and jumpers or big boy kakhi pants and sweaters. Where are the compromise clothes? I don't think that girls have this big of a problem because I think there are more in-between things for them--actually, let's face it, there are just more girls' clothes in general.

And so, I guess my question to you all is, which way do you lean? If you don't have kids, what is your opinion on the baby vs. little kid clothes issue. I'm very curious to see the answers. Thanks for the help.

9 Comments:

  • This makes me laugh b/c Ryan and I have had this same conversation. I love knee socks for little boys but you can only do that for so long......but then again, they are little boys and you don't want them to look too old too soon!!! By the way, thanks for the ginger ale tip..it is helping some!

    By Blogger Ryan and Michelle, at 2:36 PM  

  • I'm right there with you sister!! I find myself in this spot all the time. I want him to be in cutie pie little smocked things and Mark doesn't. I have until he's 1 yr before the smocking is forbiden in this house. After that I don't know what I'll do. Sorry I'm not much help at all here.

    By Blogger Jillina, at 2:38 PM  

  • I think the big-kid clothes are adorable. My kids at school look so cute when they wear their little outfits. But, me personally, I think I tend to lean toward liking the baby stuff. Not that I have kids or any say so, but they're only little for a little while, so I think I'll probably dress mine younger as long as I can. I mean, by 1st grade, they're picking out their own clothes. Scary-some don't have the best taste starting out!!!!

    By Blogger Angie, at 6:21 PM  

  • I think the little boy benchmark is around 16 months or so. I am not saying John Johns everyday but for church why not. I personally love the courdoroy overalls, with thick straps that are monogramed. To each his own. Just no big collars. Girls do have more choices.

    By Blogger AJnChattown, at 8:58 PM  

  • I lean toward little kid clothes because my husband calls Ty his little girl if I put him in anything babyish or dressy. I have found though that I myself also feel like he needs to look more "masculine" since he started walking and looking like a kid instead of a baby. I say to each his own though! Sometimes I see little boys in the cutest outfits and think my kid is a slouch in his khakis and untucked button-up! I did buy an outfit with smocking for Easter today. Brian will have to deal once or twice a year. It's only fair!

    By Blogger Tara Petty, at 10:43 PM  

  • I found your blog through Mandi--I just started one today. Campbell looks precious! With girls, I'll keep them in baby outfits as long as possible, but I'm sure Brent would have an opinion on that if we had a little boy!

    By Blogger Julie, at 10:48 PM  

  • Oh, I definitely lean toward the baby clothes, although Camden does have some really cute "big boy" outfits. They grow up fast enough as it is: we're doing the baby boy thing as long as possible. (Well, there are some clothes that Brian has put his foot down against.) YES, baby girls have so many more options!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:55 PM  

  • No, move on up to big boy clothes! They are just as cute when they start dressing like daddy. I loved it when James starting looking like a little man.

    By Blogger Kimberlie Reese Denham, at 6:33 AM  

  • Oh Girl! You know that I love the smocked clothes and knee socks. Miles will probably go to high school in them(I'm only kidding). However, I have to agree with Tara on this one, to each his own.

    By Blogger Misty George, at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home